Vehicle restrictions and vouchers
Find out if your vehicle is restricted from entering our household waste sites and if you can apply for vehicle vouchers.
It's illegal to bring business or commercial waste.
Vehicles not allowed
You can't enter the site if your vehicle:
- has a maximum gross vehicle weight (GVW) of more than 3.5 tonnes (this is usually listed in the owner's manual and shown on a plate or sticker on the vehicle)
- is more than 2m tall (unless a disability adapted vehicle or campervan / minibus, in which case you need to apply for vouchers and include your registered disability status within your application under 'additional information)
- is a hire van.
No horseboxes or agricultural trailers.
Vehicles allowed without needing vouchers
To gain access without vouchers the below vehicles must be less than 2 metres in height (including any fixtures e.g. roof boxes, lights or roof bars), with a maximum gross vehicle weight (GVW) of less than 3.5 tonnes.
- Cars and estate cars with windows all the way round and seats throughout
- People carriers, 4x4s and minibuses (excluding open backed vehicles) with windows all the way round and seats throughout (maximum 9 seats)
- Taxis and sign-written cars with windows all the way round and seats throughout.
Vehicles needing vouchers
To get vouchers for the vehicles below it must be the only vehicle in your household, no more than 2m tall (unless a campervan or minibus) and have a maximum gross vehicle weight (GVW) of less than 3.5 tonnes (this is usually listed in the owner's manual and shown on a plate or sticker on the vehicle).
- People carriers, 4x4s, minibuses with panels in place of windows and/or no rear seats
- Pick-up trucks or open back vehicles (including those with a removable top)
- Minibuses with 10 seats or more
- Van – car derived (at manufacture stage or modified). Panels in place of windows and/or no rear seats
- Panel vans
- Campervans or minibuses over 2m high (but less than 3.5 tonnes), with windows and seats throughout.
Disability adapted vehicles
You can bring trailers as well as a car as long as you're not bringing more than 90kg of construction waste or exceeding the limit on tyres and asbestos. You do not need to apply for vouchers.
Trailer bodies must comply with the following:
- Not more than 2.05m in length
- Sides of trailers must not be built up to allow for more capacity – this is unsafe and access to sites will not be granted
- Trailers must not be overloaded, and must be within the vehicles towing capacity
- No agricultural trailers or horse boxes are permitted
- Trailers cannot be used with restricted vehicles as outlined in the ‘vehicle restrictions’ section of the operating policies
- Conformance with all other HWRC policies.
Vehicle vouchers are free and don't expire. You can get up to 12 a year.
They are valid for the named vehicle and two drivers, including the registered keeper.
Please note that it may take up to 28 days to receive the vouchers after the application has been received.
Apply for vouchers
Or phone 03000 41 73 73 / Text Relay 18001 03000 41 73 73 to request an application form.
Get more vouchers
You can get more vouchers if you have had your current vehicle vouchers for 1 year and you have used at least 8 of your current vouchers.
We may carry out checks on your application.
Change of vehicle
You'll need to fill in and return an application form with details of your new vehicle. Please include a letter explaining why you're re-applying. You can dispose of any vouchers for your old vehicle.
Lost and damaged vouchers
We don't always replace lost or damaged vouchers and we may charge for new ones. Please write to:
Vehicle Voucher Scheme
Kent County Council
Terms and conditions
Read the full terms and conditions (PDF, 95.2 KB) for the vehicle voucher application schemes. You'll have to agree to these before we'll process your application.