Extra care housing

Extra care housing is for single people or couples 55 and over who want to maintain independence in their own home but need some care and support.

It is ideal for people who have long-term deteriorating health conditions, people who need care at night or whose needs can change quickly.

There is care on site but it is not a care home. You have your own 1 or 2 bedroom apartment which you can rent or sometimes buy.

The apartments are on a complex with some areas that are open to the public.


To be eligible for Extra Care Housing you must:

If you're eligible for housing in your area, you need to check what schemes are available in Kent on the Kent Home Choice website.

We will assess you to check if your qualify for help and need the level of support provided in extra care. How to request an adult social care assessment.

Facilities in extra care housing

Apartments usually consist of either 1 or 2 bedrooms. All apartments have accessible bedrooms, sitting room, separate kitchen area and walk in shower.

Staff are on duty 24 hours a day.

Extra care housing is also likely to include:

  • lifts and hand rails throughout the communal spaces
  • community alarm service and assistive technology
  • lounges, restaurants and cafe
  • activity room or computer area
  • hairdresser or wellbeing room
  • launderette
  • mobility scooter store
  • assisted bathroom
  • guest facilities
  • day services
  • landscaped gardens
  • parking.

Tenant associations sometimes arrange social events which all tenants are welcome to participate in.

Community links are encouraged and the hairdressers and restaurants are available for local people to use.

Care and support

Care and support is on site and may be available up to 24 hours a day depending on the needs of residents. Staff are always around in case of emergencies.

The care is flexible and can fit around your personal needs and can support people with dementia.  Although carers are on site, they will only visit you if this is arranged in advance or if you need them in an emergency.

Community nurses will visit you in extra care housing if you need them.

If you need specialist nursing care or have a high level of dependency you may need to look at other options such as a care home.

Extra care housing locations in Kent

You can visit different locations before deciding which complex would suit you best. Contact the provider directly to arrange a visit and to discuss shared ownership.

DistrictExtra care housing
Folkestone and Hythe
  • Regis Gate (available to buy through shared ownership)
Tonbridge and Malling
Tunbridge Wells

How to apply

We will need to check if you need the level of care provided by extra care housing. Request an assessment.

If you qualify for extra care housing, you should visit the different extra care housing complexes that you have a local connection with. This will help you decide which one is right for you.

Find apartments available to rent.

You will need to apply directly with the housing provider and we will give you advice about how to do this. A panel will consider your application and if you are successful the housing provider will contact you.


You will need to pay for:

  • the cost of renting or buying an apartment
  • a service charge for the upkeep of the building and facilities
  • care and support costs, including a wellbeing charge
  • general household costs such as utility bills, telephone and council tax.

In some extra care housing locations you can pay individually for a hot midday meal and in other locations this is included within the housing charges.

You may be able to get help towards housing related charges and council tax.

Care and support costs will vary depending on your needs. How much you pay for your care depends on your needs and your financial circumstances. We will do a financial assessment to work out exactly how much you can afford to pay.

Wellbeing charge

Care staff are on site 24 hours a day, which means in an emergency there is someone on site to provide you with the care and support you need and is separate to your day to day care package. A small contribution is required for this service and is called a wellbeing charge. In most cases this is charged by us, Kent County Council, but in some extra care schemes the housing provider charges directly.

If we are charging you, we will work out how much you can afford to pay towards the wellbeing charge when we do your financial assessment. The most that you would have to pay towards the wellbeing charge is currently £19.68 per week. We review this amount each year and will let you know if it is going to change.

If you are a couple and you both need care then you will both be financially assessed and the cost of the wellbeing charge will be shared. If only one of you needs care then only that person will contribute.

Contact us

Call your case manager for more information or email accommodationsolutions@kent.gov.uk.