Parish and town council verge maintenance

It is possible for parish or town councils, to take over the maintenance of highway verges in their area. If agreed, we would pay an annual sum for these services direct to the parish or town council.

This arrangement would only apply to urban grass cutting, shrub maintenance and urban hedge maintenance. Weed spraying and rural verge maintenance are more specialist operations that have specific health and safety requirements which means they need to be managed by us.

Use our fault reporting tool to identify the location of the highway verge or verges. We can then contact you to discuss if it possible in that location and the next steps.

For small areas or singular verges, a cultivation licence may be more appropriate, however, we would not pay for maintenance under a licence agreement. To request an application form for a licence, email