School crossing patrols

School crossing patrols are near schools or major road junctions to help pedestrians cross the road in the mornings and afternoons during the school term.

Patrols are managed by schools and we approve and monitor the sites. For any comments or complaints about a particular crossing please contact the local school.

Read the school crossing patrol leaflet (PDF, 850.2 KB) from Road Safety GB for more information.

Parents are responsible for making sure their child is safe to and from school even if there is a school crossing patrol.

To keep your child safe please remember to:

  • wait at the kerb
  • don't follow the patrol into the road
  • only cross when the patrol tells you
  • always walk in front of the patrol

Additional information can be found on the Kent Childlife website.

Apply for a new crossing

If the Headteacher of the school thinks that there is a need to have a new crossing patrol, they need to contact Kent Highways by telephoning 03000 41 81 81.

Types of crossings

GOV.UK provide information in the Highway Code on different types of crossings.

School Crossing Patrols have a legal right to stop traffic for anyone who needs help crossing the road.

It is an offence to fail to stop when a School Crossing Patrol displays the stop sign. They have the same authority as a police officer to stop traffic.  Failing to stop puts vulnerable road users at risk and the Patrol staff are instructed to report any driver who fails to stop to the Police and this could result in prosecution. Read more about road users requiring extra care.

Remember when you approach a school:

  • slow down when you see a patrol warning sign or flashing lights and be prepared to stop
  • stop when the patrol is displaying the stop sign
  • be patient and do not move forward
  • do not park where the patrol works, on zig-zag lines or other areas with parking restrictions.

Types of crossings

GOV.UK provide information in the Highway Code on different types of crossings.

Find out how schools and headteachers can apply for a new crossing and what the school's responsibility is.

The KCC school crossing patrol (SCP) guidelines are developed from the national road safety Great Britain guidance and should be followed at all times;

You can report a problem on the road or pavement to us.

Drivers who fail to stop, threaten or abuse SCP should be reported to Kent Police using the KCC SCP incident reporting procedure.

Any drivers who persistently park on yellow school zig zags or on other parking restrictions should be reported to the civil enforcement parking team at your district council.