Minibus driver training
All our practical driver assessments are conducted on a one to one basis. This applies to both initial assessments and 3 yearly reassessments.
The theory training is now delivered as an eLearning program via DELTA, for more information about our training please read the booking information below.
Due to COVID-19 we are taking extra precautions to deliver the training in the safest possible way. If you are in any way unwell on the day, please do not attend the training.
The courses we offer are suitable if:
- you passed your car test before 1 January 1997, and have a category D1 on your licence
- you passed your car test after 1 January 1997, and have a category B on your licence and also comply with the following exceptions as outlined by GOV.UK:
- you are 21 or older
- you have had your driving licence for at least 2 years
- you meet the ‘Group 2’ medical standards if you’re over 70 – we’ll need a doctor’s note to confirm this
- you’re driving on a voluntary basis and the minibus is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body
- the maximum weight of the minibus is not more than 3.5 tonnes - or 4.25 tonnes including specialist equipment for disabled passengers, for example a wheelchair ramp
- you’re not towing a trailer.
If you passed your car test after the 1 January 1997 and wish to drive minibuses exceeding 3.5 tonnes, or outside of the terms of the exemption above, you must complete a full Passenger Carrying Vehicle (PCV) category test, through the Driving Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
During our course you learn:
- the difference between driving a minibus and driving a car
- the rules and regulations of minibus driving
- practical minibus driving skills.
Our theory training is now delivered as an eLearning programme via DELTA. Access to the training is freely available to all our staff.
If you are not a member of staff, you will need to book a theory course through the minibus booking system below. After booking, an access code will be provided to the DELTA training.
Drivers who hold a permit that is about to, or has recently expired may continue to drive minibuses until we can safely resume training.
To view or manage a booking you've already made, log in to your account.
Before booking a practical driving assessment, new drivers will need to complete the online theory training and successfully pass the assessment.
After successful completion of the theory training you can book the practical assessment.
On the day:
- drivers have their eyesight and licences checked to ensure they are able to drive a minibus
- the practical assessment is then carried out by trained assessors on a one to one basis in one of our minibuses
- drivers get help and encouragement to reach a safe standard of driving and are assessed at the same time. Any driver who has difficulty reaching this standard is offered extra training at a later date.
- drivers who successfully complete the course receive an Approved Minibus Driver's card and a written assessment of their drive.
No food or drink is provided.