National Speed Awareness Course (NSAC)
To attend this course you must have received a letter from the police.
Drivers that attend this course significantly reduce their chances of being involved in a crash and of being caught for the same offence in the next 2 to 3 years.
The National Speed Awareness Course is a 2 and a half hour course (with a 10 minute break) which teaches attendees to:
- identify various speed limits and to stay within the limits
- help them recognise why it is not safe to speed
- recognise the potential consequences if they speed
- recognise and resist pressure to speed from themselves and others around them
- see hazards that may not be easy to notice when driving.
Once completed, attendees leave with an action plan about how to avoid speeding in the future.
From January 2021, the course will increase to 2 hours and 45 minutes (including the break and registration time).
Due to social distancing regulations that are currently in force, we are providing our courses online instead of in a classroom environment until further notice.
The course trainers have professional driver training backgrounds and follow national guidelines. The police do not participate in the course.
You can attend only one National Speed Awareness course in 3 years. Any further offending will be dealt with by prosecution.
For further information or to take this course outside of Kent, visit the National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme website.
Before booking your course
Before booking your course you must:
- authorise NDORS to share your data with us
- agree to the terms and conditions (PDF, 152.2 KB)
For information about how we use and share your personal information for the purpose of booking a driver education course, read our privacy statement.
Before attending the National Speed Awareness Course you must read the medical fitness advice from GOV.UK. Make sure the DVLA are kept up to date.
Cost of the course
The course costs £92. This is non-refundable.
When booking your course please make sure you have the means to pay. You may book online and pay by debit or credit card.
Book your course
To book your course in Kent, you will need to register on the NDORS website and choose Kent County Council as your course provider. Once registered, you will be taken through the rest of the booking process. To do this you will need your:
- offer letter from the police – which includes the reference number and PIN
- driver's licence number
- credit/ debit card to pay for your course
Change your booking
If you'd like to change an existing course booking, you must have your:
- driver's licence number
- booking reference number starting KDE
- credit/ debit card where payment is required.
If you do not know your licence number, you can check it through GOV.UK's licence detail viewing service.
Up to 7 days before your course
If you booked online and need to change your booking, you can do so up to 7 days before the date of the original course free of charge (based on the availability of course spaces).
Up to 3 to 5 days before your course
If you need to rebook your course between 3 and 5 days prior to your course date, you will incur a lost course place fee.
Up to 2 days before your course
If we assisted you with your booking or you need to change your course up to 2 days before your course, you will need to call us on 03000 41 15 54. You will incur a charge of £43.
Only in exceptional circumstances will this fee be waived, and we must receive documentary evidence as shown in the terms and conditions (PDF, 152.2 KB) you agreed to when booking the course.
Before attending the online course you must:
- make sure that you are able to use Zoom
- review the video sent to you in your documentation
- test out the platform with another person to familiarise yourself
- prepare yourself for the course and resolve any technical issues prior to attending.
Failure to follow this process may result in not being able to attend the course on the day and may also require a rebooking fee, if there is availability on alternative course dates.
Please refer to the terms and conditions (PDF, 152.2 KB) that you agreed to when booking the course.
Attending your course
Before attending the course, you will be sent the meeting ID, passcode and link for the course. This email will be sent to you 48 hours in advance of your course.
If you have not received your email please check your spam/ junk folders. If you still cannot find the email you must contact us on the last working day prior to your course. You can email KDE@kent.gov.uk or call 03000 41 15 54.
When attending the online course you must:
- make sure that you are in a quiet room, where you will not be interrupted
- not be in a moving vehicle, you will not be permitted to participate if you are
- have a fully charged electronic device with an inbuilt camera and speakers or a device with a webcam and speakers.
- have a stable internet connection for the course duration. If you require any assistance to set up your course, they must leave when the course starts
- have paper and pen ready to make notes during the course.
If you fail to log on in time, or are late back from your break this will result in no admittance to the course.
You will need to show a valid photocard driving licence for validation of your attendance which will be checked against the register. If you do not have a photocard driving licence, the old style paper driving licence may be produced with another form of photographic identification.
Failure to produce photographic ID will result in no admittance onto the course and you will incur a rebooking fee.
If you currently have a paper licence, you may wish to apply to exchange your paper driver licence to photo driver licence.
If you have any questions concerning your photo identification, which is a requirement to attend the course, you should contact Kent Driver Education team on 03000 41 15 54, well in advance of your course date.
If you have lost, damaged or had your drivers licence stolen, apply for a replacement online.
For more information visit the NDORS website.