National Speed Awareness Course (NSAC)
To attend this course you must have received a letter from the police.
Drivers that attend this course significantly reduce their chances of being involved in a crash and of being caught for the same offence in the next 2 to 3 years.
The National Speed Awareness Course is a 2 hour and 45 minute course (with a short break) which teaches attendees to:
- identify various speed limits and to stay within the limits
- help them recognise why it is not safe to speed
- recognise the potential consequences if they speed
- recognise and resist pressure to speed from themselves and others around them
- see hazards that may not be easy to notice when driving.
Once completed, attendees leave with an action plan about how to avoid speeding in the future.
The majority of our courses will continue to be delivered online using the digital platform Zoom, but we are now also able to offer physical classroom courses. You can find any available spaces for your course by booking online and selecting physical course.
Please note the course spaces are still limited and will be solely based on client demand. If you wish to book a space please register via the National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme website. If there are no spaces showing or you are unable to book in this way, email KDE@kent.gov.uk or call us on 03000 41 15 54 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 3pm) and provide the following:
- your full name
- contact number
- course type (NSAC, NMAC,WDU,SCD)
- the date you MUST complete your course by.
We will contact you directly to discuss if we are able to book you onto a course. We are currently delivering courses from either Maidstone or Ashford areas but are looking to open further venues in the next 3 to 6 months.
The course trainers have professional training backgrounds and follow national guidelines. The police do not participate in the course.
You can attend only one National Speed Awareness course in 3 years. Any further offending will be dealt with by prosecution.
For further information or to take this course outside of Kent, visit the National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme website.
Before booking your course
Before booking your course you must:
- authorise NDORS to share your data with us
- agree to the terms and conditions (PDF, 152.3 KB)
For information about how we use and share your personal information for the purpose of booking a driver education course, read our privacy statement.
Before attending the National Speed Awareness Course you must read the medical fitness advice from GOV.UK. Make sure the DVLA are kept up to date.
Cost of the course
The course costs £92. This is non-refundable.
When booking your course please make sure you have the means to pay. You may book online and pay by debit or credit card.
Book your course
To book your course in Kent, you will need to register on the NDORS website and choose Kent County Council as your course provider. Once registered, you will be taken through the rest of the booking process. To do this you will need your:
- offer letter from the police – which includes the reference number and PIN
- driver's licence number
- credit/ debit card to pay for your course.
To request subtitles to be added to course presentations email KDE@kent.gov.uk, no later than 14 days before your course date,
If you need a course offered in British Sign Language (BSL) email KDE@kent.gov.uk.
Change your booking
If you'd like to change an existing course booking, you must have your:
- driver's licence number
- booking reference number starting KDE
- credit/ debit card where payment is required.
If you do not know your licence number, you can check it through GOV.UK's licence detail viewing service.
14 or more days before your course
If you require subtitles to be added to the course presentation, request this by emailing KDE@kent.gov.uk.
7 or more days before your course
If you booked online and need to change your booking, you can do so up to 7 days before the date of the original course free of charge (based on the availability of course spaces).
3 to 6 days before your course
If you need to rebook your course between 3 and 6 days prior to your course date, you will incur a lost course place fee.
2 days before your course
If we assisted you with your booking or you need to change your course up to 2 days before your course, you will need to call us on 03000 41 15 54. You will incur a charge of £43.
Only in exceptional circumstances will this fee be waived, and we must receive documentary evidence as shown in the terms and conditions (PDF, 152.3 KB) that you agreed to when booking the course.
Before attending a classroom course
Before attending the classroom course at a venue you must:
- arrive promptly to allow time to register
(plan your route and allow plenty of time for your journey)
- bring valid photographic identification
- attend for the whole time.
Not meeting these conditions will result in your exclusion from the course.
If we can offer you a new date, you'll need to pay a rebooking fee. If not, your case will be returned to the police.
Before attending an online event using Zoom
Before attending the online course you must:
- make sure that you are able to use Zoom
(we suggest you test it with another person first)
- review the video sent to you in your documentation
- prepare yourself for the course and resolve any technical issues in advance.
Failure to follow this process may result in not being able to attend the course on the day and may also require a rebooking fee.
Watch our getting ready for online road safety course video for further advice and guidance.
Please refer to the terms and conditions (PDF, 152.3 KB) that you agreed to when booking the course.
Attending your online course
Before attending the course, you will be sent the meeting ID, passcode and link for the course. This email will be sent to you 48 hours in advance of your course.
You can access the Zoom meeting details no earlier than 48 hours before the start of your course time and date by logging back into your account via the DORS website where you originally registered to attend a course.
If you have not received your email please check your spam or junk folders. If you still cannot find the email you must contact us on the last working day prior to your course. You can email KDE@kent.gov.uk or call 03000 41 15 54.
When attending the online course you must:
- make sure that you are in a quiet room, where you will not be interrupted
- not be in a moving vehicle, you will not be permitted to participate if you are
- have a fully charged electronic device with an inbuilt camera and speakers or a device with a webcam and speakers.
- have a stable internet connection for the course duration. If you require any assistance to set up your course, they must leave when the course starts
- have paper and pen ready to make notes during the course.
If you fail to log on in time, or are late back from your break this will result in no admittance to the course.
The addresses provided match those held by Royal Mail.
- Innovation Centre Medway, Maidstone Road, Chatham, Kent, ME5 9FD
- Singleton Environment Centre, Wesley School Road, Ashford, Kent, TN23 5LW
- The Orida Hotel, Bearsted Road, Maidstone, Kent, ME14 5AA.
Make sure you arrive on time. If you arrive late you will not be able to join the course.
This could mean you have to rebook, or your case being returned to the police.