Vehicle restrictions and vouchers
Find out if your vehicle is restricted from entering our household waste recycling centres and if you can apply for vehicle vouchers.
For more information read our Household Waste Recycling Centre operating policy (PDF, 133.8 KB) for limitations visiting your local centre.
It's illegal to bring business or commercial waste.
Vehicles not allowed
You can't enter the site if your vehicle:
- has a maximum gross vehicle weight (GVW) of more than 3.5 tonnes (this is usually listed in the owner's manual and shown on a plate or sticker on the vehicle)
- is more than 2m tall (unless a disability adapted vehicle or campervan or minibus, in which case you need to apply for vouchers and include your registered disability status within your application under 'additional information)
- is more than 2m tall due to removable items such as a roof rack or roof box
- is a hire van, tipper, dropsided lorry, horsebox or agricultural trailer.
Vehicles allowed without needing vouchers
Below are the vehicles that do not require vehicle vouchers (including roof boxes, lights, or roof bars), with a maximum gross vehicle weight (GVW) of less than 3.5 tons.
- Cars and estate cars with windows all the way round and seats throughout
- People carriers, 4x4s and minibuses (excluding open backed vehicles) with windows all the way round and seats throughout (maximum 9 seats)
- Taxis and sign-written cars with windows all the way round and seats throughout.
Vehicles needing vouchers
To get vouchers for the vehicles below it must be the only vehicle in your household, no more than 2m tall (unless a campervan or minibus) and have a maximum gross vehicle weight (GVW) of less than 3.5 tonnes (this is usually listed in the owner's manual and shown on a plate or sticker on the vehicle).
If your vehicle is over 2 metres tall with removable items like a roof box or roof rack, you won't be able to access the HWRC.
- People carriers, 4x4s, minibuses with panels in place of windows and/or no rear seats
- Pick-up trucks or open back vehicles (including those with a removable top)
- Minibuses with 10 seats or more
- Van – car derived (at manufacture stage or modified). Panels in place of windows and/or no rear seats
- Panel vans
- Campervans or minibuses over 2m high (but less than 3.5 tonnes), with windows and seats throughout.
Disability adapted vehicles
There's no height restriction for disability adapted vehicles apart from at Dover, Folkestone, Faversham Sevenoaks and Swanley.
Trailers cannot be used with restricted vehicles as outlined in our operating policy (PDF, 133.8 KB).
About your voucher
Vehicle vouchers do not expire and are free. You can use up to 12 vouchers a year.
They are valid for the named vehicle and 2 drivers, including the registered keeper.
Visiting a HWRC
From 1 April 2023, non-Kent residents who use any of our 19 Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs), will be required to pay £10 to visit.
By non-Kent residents we mean any resident that does not pay Council Tax to one of the following Kent councils:
- Ashford Borough Council
- Canterbury City Council
- Dartford Borough Council
- Dover District Council
- Folkestone and Hythe Borough Council
- Gravesham Borough Council
- Maidstone Borough Council
- Sevenoaks District Council
- Swale Borough Council
- Thanet District Council
- Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council
- Tunbridge Wells Borough Council.
This means Medway residents will be required to pay the £10 fee. Read more about the our cross border policy.
Apply for vouchers
You have to apply for vehicle vouchers separately from booking an appointment at the HWRC.
Once the application is received, the vouchers may take 28 days to arrive.
Or, if you need an application form call 03000 41 73 73 or Text Relay 18001 03000 41 73 73.
Get more vouchers
Apply for more vouchers online
If you've had your current vehicle vouchers for 1 year and you've used at least 8 of them, you can apply for more.
We may carry out checks on your application.
Change of vehicle
To change your vehicle details, you can let us know online.
Simply select 'change of vehicle' from the drop down menu.
Lost and damaged vouchers
We don't always replace lost or damaged vouchers and we may charge for new ones. Please write to:
Vehicle Voucher Scheme, Kent County Council, Waste Management, Floor 1, Invicta House
Maidstone, ME14 1XX.
Terms and conditions
Read the full terms and conditions (PDF, 153.0 KB) for the vehicle voucher application schemes. You'll have to agree to these before we'll process your application.