Report a problem on a right of way

You can report non-urgent issues online including:

  • broken stiles
  • overgrown vegetation or fallen trees
  • damaged or dangerous path surfaces
  • damaged or missing signposts.

Please submit a separate report for each individual problem. This helps us to identify and inspect the correct location and update you on progress more accurately.

Report a problem

You need to contact your local borough or district council for fly-tipping enquiries.

In an emergency (something on a public right of way which can cause an injury or accident) call 03000 41 71 71 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm).

For general enquiries or technical issues with the fault reporting tool, email

Report an issue on the road or pavement

Report problems on roads and pavements, including potholes and drainage, to us with our report a problem on the road or pavement tool.

How long it takes to fix problems

We aim to inspect or start taking action as below:

  • public safety issues likely to result in accident or injury (such as open excavations, dangerous trees, and dangerous structures) within 1 day
  • matters with legal deadlines (such as construction work that could lead to damage to a path and would be harder to fix at a later date) within 5 days.

We prioritise repairs according to local needs and our obligations as the highway and access authority.

How long it takes us depends on what the problem is and how easily we can find out who owns the land and who's responsible for it. It also depends on our operational priorities and resources.

Check on the progress of a problem you have already reported to us. Please have your login details ready.

Track an existing enquiry

To find out how we use your personal information, read our privacy notice.