Closures, restrictions and permits on rights of way

Please be aware that the access code for the padlocks on the restricted byways will be changing on 29 September 2023.

If you are a Byways Open to All Traffic (BOATs) permit holder you will be contacted directly by email or letter if we have your up-to-date contact details.

If you do not receive any communication, then please make sure your details are correct by using our update your details form.

Some byways are only open to certain types of vehicles or at certain times of the day or year. We can also close public rights of way temporarily if you need to carry out work on or next to one.

Apply for a temporary closure

If you need to close a public right of way temporarily to carry out work on it or next to it you can either:

Current closures

You need a permit to use a car, motorbike or horse drawn vehicle on the following rights of way:

  • KH94 Bredhurst
  • KH219 Lenham
  • MR45A Snodland
  • NS245 and NS221, Luddesdown
  • RS221 and Chapel Lane (part) Halling (experimental order).

Apply for, update, or request a replacement byway permit

Due to limited resources and restrictions, processing of applications will take longer. Thank you for your patience.