Correct the rights of way map

If you think the legal rights of way map (Definitive Map and Statement) is wrong you can apply to have it changed.

Download the application form and guidance notes for modification orders (PDF, 284.8 KB).

Examples of when you might apply:

  • to add a right of way to the map - often a path exists on the ground but is not shown on the map. You can apply to have the path added to the map
  • to change the status of a right of way - a footpath may have been used as a bridleway for 20 years or more. You can apply to change its status to a bridleway
  • to correct errors on the map - a path recorded on the map is not public, shown on the wrong line or needs defining more precisely.

Applications register

Read the register of applications for current modification orders (PDF, 654.3 KB).