Children missing education
A child missing from education (CME) is a child of compulsory school age who is not registered at a school, not placed in alternative provision by a local authority and who is not receiving suitable education at home.
Reasons why children go missing from education can include:
- not starting school at the appropriate time and therefore not entering the education system
- being removed from school by their parents due to problems at school, disinterest or poor attendance
- stopping their education due to exclusion, illness or bullying
- not finding a suitable school place after moving to a new area
- personal circumstances (for example if the family is homeless and they are living in temporary accommodation or a refuge, or if there are long term medical or emotional problems).
We have a duty to identify children missing from education in Kent where possible. We must also negotiate support for them to make sure that they get back into education.
Refer a child
If you are aware of a child missing education, please report it online.
To contact us: