Provision of new schools
We are commissioning new schools to accommodate an increase in pupil numbers in Kent.
Statutory guidance requires us to seek proposals to establish a free school where we have identified the need for a new school in Kent.
Further information about free schools is available from the New Schools Network.
Sponsoring a free school
If you are considering sponsoring a free school, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the local Area Education Officer:
- South Kent (Ashford, Dover, Folkestone and Hythe): David Adams, email email@example.com
- East Kent (Canterbury, Swale and Thanet): Marisa White, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- North Kent (Sevenoaks, Dartford and Gravesham): Ian Watts, email email@example.com
- West Kent (Maidstone, Tonbridge and Malling, Tunbridge Wells): Nick Abrahams, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more advice about sponsoring an academy.
Information for proposers
Read information relating to your area of Kent:
There are currently no provisions of new schools in South Kent.
The Department of Education (DfE) has approved our application for a new Special Free School, on the Isle of Sheppey.
The school, which is due to open by September 2022, will provide 120 places for children and young people aged 11-16 who have social, emotional and mental health difficulties (SEMH) with autism spectrum conditions or social communication difficulties. The new school will help to reduce the number of children having to travel off the Isle of Sheppey to schools across Kent.
We are holding a competition on behalf of the DfE to secure a high-quality education provider to run the school.
- application forms and guidance notes
- Equality Analysis/ Impact Assessment (EqIA) (PDF, 160.0 KB)
- service specification for the proposed new school (PDF, 252.0 KB)
- stakeholder event information (PDF, 143.0 KB)
- stakeholder presentation, 30 April 2019 (PDF, 927.2 KB)
- New School Network presentation, 30 April 2019 (PDF, 415.0 KB)