Deaths that happen outside of Kent

All our libraries are closed until further notice, however we will continue to hold death registration appointments from library locations.

Birth registrations are currently on hold until further notice.

Check our service updates page for the latest information and guidance.

All deaths must be registered within 5 days. If a death has occurred outside of the Kent and Bexley district, you must follow the advice as provided.

I want to register a death but I don't live in Kent or Bexley

If the death happened in Kent or Bexley but you can't attend an appointment here, then you can give the details to any registrar in England and Wales. The details will be sent to Kent Libraries, Registration and Archives who will register the death. This is called registration by declaration.

I want to register a death that occurred outside of Kent or Bexley

A death can only be registered in the district that it occurred.  If the death happened outside the district of Kent or Bexley, you can give a death declaration with a Kent or Bexley office who will send the declaration to the registrar in the district where the death occurred.  That registration district will then complete the registration and issue the necessary paperwork.  Declarations can only be taken when the event occurred in England and Wales.

If you need any further information about registering a death call us on 03000 41 51 51.

Death declarations taken by other registration authorities for deaths within the Kent registration district or London Borough of Bexley should be sent to:

Deputy Registrar
Kent Registration Service
Ramsgate Library
Guildford Lawn
CT11 9AY

Cheques should be made payable to Kent County Council.  Please include the informant’s name and telephone contact number(s) on the rear of the form.

If the informant wishes to pay by card, when we send the paperwork to the informant they will also receive a letter advising how to order and pay for certificates by debit/credit card

If someone dies abroad, you must register the death with the local authorities in the country where the person died.

Citizens Advice provides a detailed breakdown as to what to do in the event of a death that occurred abroad:

  • who to contact
  • registering their death
  • funeral arrangements
  • contact details of local British embassies.