Services your district council provides

We are responsible for certain services across the whole of Kent, for example education, highways and social care. There are 12 district councils, also known as borough or city councils, responsible for services including bin collections, environmental health, leisure facilities, housing and planning.

To check who your local district council is and to visit their website use the postcode checker.

Medway residents should visit the Medway Council website.

District council services

Your district council can support you with animal enquiries relating to:

  • animal welfare
  • bats and badgers
  • dangerous dogs
  • dead animals
  • dog bins
  • dog wardens
  • exhibiting or training
  • foxes
  • fouling fines
  • lost dogs
  • pest control.

Contact your local district council

Contact Kent Police if you’ve witnessed:

  • an aggressive or out of control animal
  • an owner using an animal to intimidate people
  • someone who is using animals in illegal activities such as dog fighting.

How we can help

Your district council collects your:

  • household waste bins
  • garden waste
  • recycling and bulky waste collections (furniture and white goods).

Contact them directly to report any issues about your bin collections, garden waste or if you are missing your bin.

Or visit one of our Household Waste Recycling Centres to get rid of your household waste yourself.

Clinical waste collection

To arrange collection or disposal of a sharps container contact the healthcare service who provided the item or your district council may offer a collection service.

Contact your district council to apply for council housing or for information about:

  • affordable housing
  • community housing
  • council housing
  • homelessness (or if you are about to become homeless)
  • housing benefits
  • private renting.