Housing-related support workers (floating support)

We offer housing-related support (or 'floating support') to vulnerable adults (over 16) who are:

  • experiencing harassment
  • facing eviction
  • leaving an institution.

We aim to help you to maintain your independence in your own home. Floating support services are short term (less than 1 year) and will have the flexibility to support you wherever you live (different to accommodation based services, where support is tied to particular accommodation). This is why the support is called 'floating support' as it is temporary and will 'float away' when you no longer need it.

The service can help you to:

  • set up and maintain a home or tenancy
  • manage finances and benefit claims
  • develop independent living skills
  • gain access to other services
  • ensure your accommodation is safe and secure.

Funding cannot be used for:

  • domestic abuse support. This support can accessed by completing and returning the referral form (DOCX, 34.5 KB). Return this form to the addresses as stated within the form. Alternatively you can telephone Victim Support on 0808 168 9276. If you, or your client are in immediate danger, you should contact Kent Police on 999
  • housing management, personal or health care
  • statutory duties, particularly under community care and homelessness legislation, or aftercare services following hospital discharge.

To apply, you can:

You can apply yourself or speak to a professional already working with you to ask if they will refer you.

Once you have applied, a support provider will contact you to arrange an assessment. They will explain the support they will be providing and will tell you how soon you will receive it.

If we are unable to help you, the support provider will explain why and tell you about your right to ask for a review of your situation. They will also let you know where you can go to get more advice or information.

You can only apply if you are currently living in Kent or are in temporary accommodation outside Kent into until more suitable accommodation in Kent can be found for you. If you pay your council tax to Medway Council, you will need to call them on 01634 334433.

If you wish to make a complaint about a service you have received, please go through the appropriate support providers complaint procedures. Should you need to take the complaint further, please email Commissioned Services at supportingpeopleteam@kent.gov.uk.

If housing-related floating support does not meet your needs, read further advice on: