School and pre-school help for deaf, blind or deafblind children

We can support your child's learning at pre-school or school once they have a medical diagnosis of deafness, visual impairment or deafblindness.

We will give you information, advice and support. We can also help your child communicate, become more independent and may support their school with training and equipment.

We can also support pre-school children at home.

Contact us

You can refer your child to us yourself or ask the SENCO at your child’s school or pre-school to.

Hearing impairment

West and North Kent - call 07920 58 54 33 or email

East and South Kent - call 07825 38 01 52 or email

Visual impairment

Call 07795 15 13 64 or email

Multi sensory impairment and deafblindness

Call 07825 013362 or email

If your child is at a state special school, the sensory link professional there should contact us to discuss support, or find out more information about the team.

What happens next

We will use the information in the medical diagnosis to work out whether your child needs help from a specialist teacher. All of our teachers have special qualifications in working with deaf, blind or deafblind children and are part of the specialist teaching and learning services (STLS).

We will call you within 2 or 3 days of receiving the referral. We will give you information about the level of your child’s hearing or sight problems and the impact it will have. We'll also give you ideas to help your child's learning.

We can also support your child's nursery, pre-school or school.

Support your child may receive

We will tailor our support to suit your child's needs through advice and information or regular support visits.

Specialist support may include:

  • help communicating – for example helping them to develop language and listening skills, signing, how to use touch and learning to use Braille
  • promoting independence and wellbeing – for example, helping your child to do their school work independently and use their equipment positively
  • training to help them get around (mobility training) and specialist activities
  • monitoring progress and achievement.

Support your child's pre-school or school may receive

We can also help your child's school to support their learning. We may do this through training or by providing them with equipment such as Assistive Listening Devices if your child wears a hearing aid.

If your child is at an independent school the school will need to pay for any support we give them.

Information for pre-schools and schools.