In 2020, we introduced the Kara service as part of a response to the coronavirus pandemic in partnership with RETHINK Partners and Alcove.
The service provides people with virtual care and support through videophones. Those with little, or no technical ability, can connect with loved ones and caregivers. The contract with Kara ends in April this year as part of our move towards providing a Technology Enabled Care Service in September 2023.
During the transition period, we will only be able to continue the service for people who are eligible to receive social care support from us. If you do not currently receive care support and hold a Kara device, there are 3 options available:
- If you do not have a broadband internet service and wish to keep the Kara Carephone, we will gift the device to you. You will need to pay a monthly £25 subscription charge to continue the service. Call 0203 966 1121 or email email@example.com or press the Ask Alcove button on your device.
- If you have a broadband service and wish to keep the Kara Carephone, we will gift the device to you. You will need to pay a £15 monthly subscription charge to continue the service. Call 0203 966 1121 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or press the Ask Alcove button on your device.
- If you no longer require the Kara Carephone, we will gift you the device and you can use it as a normal tablet. A factory reset process will need to be carried out to remove the Kara software. Alcove can carry this out for you, or you can go to the Samsung Website and search for ‘How do I perform a factory reset on my mobile device?’ to get instructions.
What you need to do
Let us know which of the 3 options you would like to do, to tell us:
- email email@example.com
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- or press the Ask Alcove button on your device.
If there are any concerns or questions, please contact us:
- email email@example.com
- call 03000 41 49 55
If we did not hear from you by 1 April 2023, we will assume you no longer wished to continue with the service and the device will no longer work after 30 April 2023.