Tonbridge station access improvements
On 25 July 2018 we will begin renovating roads and footpaths around Tonbridge station.
Work will continue until the beginning of December 2018.
The improvements will include:
- widening the footpath leading to the station entrance to create more space for pedestrians and cyclists
- removing the bus stop outside the station and creating a new pick-up, drop-off area with direct access to station entrance
- new protective bollards around the station forecourt (on advice from the Counter Terrorism Police)
- new signalled crossings on Waterloo Road and Quarry Hill Road
- extending the bus stop outside Lidl, on Quarry Hill Road, to fit 3 buses without blocking traffic
- resurfacing the road and pavement with the same materials as the high street outside the station entrance.
The improvements will cost £500,000 and have been funded by the South East Local Enterprise Partnership.
We are working with Southeastern, Network Rail and Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council to complete this project.
Monday to Saturday: 7am – 7pm
No loud machinery will be used outside of these times. We're working with Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council to keep disruption to a minimum.
Some out-of-hours work, such as tarmacking, will take place and may require temporary diversions which will be clearly signposted.
Temporary traffic lights
At times, two-way temporary traffic lights may be set up from 7am to 7pm to keep traffic moving in both directions.
The Quarry Hill Road bus route will be unaffected, but a temporary bus stop will move up and down the road during construction.
Tonbridge is the busiest train station in Kent and we need to improve access so that residents can continue to access the station safely.
We hope that the improvements will lead to more people using environmentally friendly types of travel.
We have finalised the following plans for the improvement project:
- Tonbridge station access improvement plan - Railway Approach (PDF, 893.2 KB)
- Tonbridge station access improvement plan - Quarry Hill Road and Waterloo Road
(PDF, 1.1 MB)
Works are still ongoing with some phases completed. Construction of the improved bus stop outside Lidl is due to begin the mid-September. When this is complete all northbound buses will pick up and drop off there. Works will then begin outside the station.
Additional cycle storage space on Barden Road is being planned by Southeastern for later this year.