Sutton Road improvement scheme
This scheme will provide a widened junction and approach along both sides of the Sutton Road at the Willington Street junction.
The scheme includes:
- works to widen the road to 3 lanes in each direction at the junction with Willington Street
- dedicated turning lanes into Willington Street and Wallis Avenue
- upgraded Willington Street and Wallis Avenue signal controlled junction
- incorporated bus laybys.
View the Sutton Road scheme plan (PDF, 768.5 KB).
This is one of a number of schemes to be delivered as part of the Maidstone integrated Transport Package which has £8.9m of Local Growth Funding.
The A274 is a strategic route between the south east of Maidstone and can be accessed from the M20.
The scheme objectives are to:
- increase the capacity of the road
- improve traffic flow
- provide a widened junction
- improve journey times.
The route is highly constrained in terms of available land, therefore our main aim is to widen both the northern and southern sides of Sutton Road to maximise the benefits of the scheme.
Increased noise is understandably a concern, so we aim to provide traffic noise screening for Bell Meadow and Sutton Road residents to control noise levels and improve the current situation.
Sutton Road is an established road with many mature trees and vegetation. Unfortunately some trees and vegetation will need to be removed to accommodate the widened junction. There is an area of land available fronting Sutton Road to allow us to re-plant trees, vegetation and enhance the landscaping. There is limited availability to re-plant fronting Bell Meadow.
Sessions have been held for residents to view the plans and talk to the project team on 18 August 2017 and 1 December 2017.
Read the scheme newsletters:
- Sutton Road improvement scheme newsletter 1 - May 2017 (PDF, 991.1 KB)
- Sutton Road improvement scheme newsletter 2 - December 2017 (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- the presentation showing revised proposal (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- a video of the presentation
- landscape options for the Sutton Road service road:
- an overview of the plants expected to be used (PDF, 3.7 MB)
- artist impressions to show the overall scheme when finished (PDF, 3.6 MB)
Dates of scheme:
- detailed design - August 2017
- vegetation clearance - February 2018
- construction period - February 2018 to August 2018