The Coldharbour Roundabout is where the A20 and link road to M20 junction 5 meet. Growth is planned in this area, including the new 'Whitepost Fields' development, which will increase congestion between Maidstone and Ditton. Improvements are needed to the roundabout to reduce congestion, improve journey times and support the M20 smart motorway.
In addition the scheme may:
- help improve air quality
- improve access to the 20-20 Business Park and South Aylesford Retail Park
- increase road capacity to allow for further development.
Changes to Coldharbour Roundabout are being consulted on as part of the Keep Maidstone Moving schemes, designed to reduce congestion, travel times and pollution in Maidstone.
The proposals include:
- widen the roundabout and its approaches, for a larger roundabout with better visibility
- remove the traffic lights at the roundabout
- create new World War One memorial feature
- add in a new access road.
Read the consultation document (PDF, 4.9 MB) to see the full details of the proposals including maps and plans, or come to one of our consultation events for more information.
We are holding 3 consultation events where you can drop in and talk to our team, and there will also be a presentation.
Date: Saturday 8 February
Time: Drop in from 10am to 1pm, presentation at 11am
Location: The Tudor Park Marriott Hotel, Ashford Road, Bearsted ME14 4NQ
Date: Wednesday 12 February
Time: Drop in from 5:30pm to 8:30pm, presentation at 7pm
Location: The Village Hotel, Castle View, Forstal Road, Maidstone ME14 3AQ
Date: Monday 17 February
Time: Drop in from 1pm to 7pm, presentation at 2pm and 6pm
Location: Sessions House, County Hall, County Road, Maidstone ME14 1XQ
Current timescales (dates are subject to change) are:
- outline design - September 2018 to 2019
- detailed design - October 2019 to 2020
- procurement - March to April 2020
- contract award - April 2020
- project begins - May 2020
- project completed - 2021.
A public consultation is taking place between 29 January and 11 March 2020 to give you the opportunity to provide feedback on the proposed scheme before the plans are finalised.
Take part in the Keep Maidstone Moving consultation.
The government Growth Deal provides money to the South East Local Enterprise Partnership, funding projects which drive Kent’s economic and business growth.