The Coldharbour Roundabout is where the A20 and link road to M20 junction 5 meet. Growth is planned in this area, including the new 'Whitepost Fields' development, which will increase congestion between Maidstone and Ditton. Improvements are needed to the roundabout to reduce congestion, improve journey times and support the M20 smart motorway.
In addition the scheme may:
- help improve air quality
- improve access to the 20-20 Business Park and South Aylesford Retail Park
- increase road capacity to allow for further development.
Changes to Coldharbour Roundabout were consulted on as part of the Keep Maidstone Moving schemes, designed to reduce congestion, travel times and pollution in Maidstone.
The proposals include:
- widen the roundabout and its approaches, for a larger roundabout with better visibility
- remove the traffic lights at the roundabout
- create new World War One memorial feature
- add in a new access road.
You can view the consultation material, including the consultation document and plans on the Keep Maidstone Moving pages of our consultation directory.
Current timescales (dates are subject to change) are:
- outline design - September 2018 to 2019
- detailed design - October 2019 to 2020
- procurement - March to April 2020
- contract award - April 2020
- project begins - May 2020
- project completed - 2021.
A public consultation took place between 29 January and 11 March 2020 to give you the opportunity to provide feedback on the proposed scheme before the plans are finalised.
Thank you to everyone who took part in the consultation. Feedback from the consultation is being used to further develop the scheme design, which will be made available, alongside the consultation report on this website.
The government Growth Deal provides money to the South East Local Enterprise Partnership, funding projects which drive Kent’s economic and business growth.