A28 Chart Road improvement scheme
This scheme will see the existing stretch of the A28 Chart Road between the 'Tank' and 'Matalan' roundabouts widened into 2 lanes each way.
This scheme is an improvement of the existing road.
The scheme includes:
- changing the A28 into 2 lanes each way between the 'Tank' and 'Matalan' roundabouts
- improvement of the 'Tank' roundabout, 'Matalan' roundabout, Loudon Way junction and other intermediate side roads/accesses
- using the existing railway bridge for the northbound carriageway with construction of a new railway bridge for the southbound carriageway
- extensive landscaping proposals
- traffic noise screening for residents
- continuous shared footway and cycleways on both sides of the road
- additional controlled crossings, for pedestrians and cyclists, at Loudon Way/Chart Road junction and Chart Road north of Matalan roundabout.
- A28 Chart Road scheme additional information (PDF, 199.2 KB)
- A28 Chart Road scheme plan (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- A28 Chart Road scheme sketch viewpoints (PDF, 173.4 KB)
- A28 Chart Road scheme Section A-A1 – section through Chart Road south of Loudon Way (PDF, 104.1 KB)
- A28 Chart Road scheme Section B-B1 – section through Chart Road north of Loudon Way (PDF, 90.1 KB)
- A28 Chart Road scheme landscape plan (JPG, 3.6 MB)
The A28 is the main route serving the south and west side of Ashford. Improvements have already been made from the A28 'Tank' roundabout up to and including its connection with the M20 at Junction 9.
Southwards from the 'Tank' roundabout over the railway to the 'Matalan' roundabout the A28 is a single carriageway that has poor alignment over the railway and has regular congestion and unreliable journey times.
The scheme objectives are:
- to provide improved capacity and safety
- to relieve congestion and give improved and reliable journey times
- to support local growth and developments including Chilmington Green.
We will start clearing the existing vegetation and trees affected by the project from 12 February 2018. We expect this to take around 4 weeks, and will need to be completed before the start of the nesting bird season in early March.
The main construction programme is being finalised. Further newsletters will be issued and public exhibitions will be arranged to provide more information about how we plan to carry out the works.
Read the latest A28 Chart Road newsletter (PDF, 742.3 KB).