A249 Bearsted Road improvement scheme
The proposed scheme aims to accommodate increased traffic volume by signalising the A249 Bearsted Road roundabout and enlarging the New Cut Road roundabout, whilst widening between the two. Additional smart technology will help ease congestion and improve traffic flow.
The scheme will:
- upgrade 2 junctions on the A249 Bearsted Road and New Cut Road
- widen the road between the 2 junctions
- accommodate increased traffic volumes
- support local development
- ease congestion
- improve traffic flow and journey time reliability.
Traffic capacity modelling carried out in support of the planning application indicates that there is too much traffic on the current highway, with this forecast to worsen towards the end of the horizon assessment year (2031), as substantial commercial development associated with the Kent Medical Campus and significant housing sites to the south of Maidstone are delivered.
Additionally Highways England improvements scheduled for M2 Junction 5 under the Road Investment Strategy are likely to lead to further congestion at the M20 Junction 7 and A249 Bearsted Road.
All dates below are subject to change.
- outline design - completed
- detailed design - completed
- procurement – January to March 2020
- contract award – April 2020
- project begins – May 2020
- project completion - spring 2021