Kent Thameside Local Sustainable Transport - Integrated door-to-door journeys
About the scheme
The Kent Thameside Local Sustainable Transport scheme is a package of measures which aims to deliver a fully integrated sustainable transport system in the Districts of Dartford and Gravesham. It aims to unlock potential growth in the area by reducing the reliance on the private car and thereby reducing congestion and air quality.
The programme of measures will be delivered between 2015/16 and 2020/21.
Schemes delivered to date
We have delivered:
- a new Cycle Hub at Gravesend Station providing 218 secure cycle parking spaces accessed by a fob and 48 drop and go cycle parking spaces as well as CCTV, lockers and bike maintenance equipment. It will also offer bike hire and maintenance advice from a bespoke cycle shop located at the Hub
- 140 additional cycle parking spaces at Dartford Station, 80 of which require fob access for additional security
- increased cycle parking provision at Ebbsfleet International Station.
- 40 additional cycle parking spaces at Greenhithe station, accessed by a fob.
- 10 additional cycle parking spaces each at both Meopham and Longfield Stations.
- a new fleet of 21 vehicles for the Fastrack service
- an improved infrastructure (such as shelters and Real Time Information displays) on the Fastrack route, as well as upgrades to traffic signals to give priority for buses.
- bus stop improvements on the 306 route from Vigo to Bluewater
- a system of wayfinding signs in Dartford town centre to promote walking and cycling throughout the town
- improved signage and lighting at both ferry pontoons serviced by the Gravesend-Tilbury Ferry
- a system of wayfinding signs for Gravesend Town Centre to promote walking and cycling through the town
- a puffin crossing, on Burnham Road in Dartford to improve connectivity and crossing links for cyclists and pedestrians.
Future schemes planned
Future schemes include:
- a new Bus Hub to improve the transport interchange between Rail and Bus and link in with the existing Rathmore Road scheme being separately delivered by Local Growth Fund
- a shared use cycle path on Princes Road, Dartford between the M25 roundabout and Watling Street
- a signed cycle route between Cyclopark and the new Cycle Hub at Gravesend Station.
The scheme is funded by a contribution of £4.5m from the Local Growth Fund round, provided as part of the Growth Deal to the South East Local Enterprise Partnership.
Formal scheme approval was made by:
For further information on any of the schemes mentioned above, please contact Transport Innovations via the contact centre on 03000 418181.