A2500, Lower Road Improvement, Minster
The A2500 Lower Road is an important route between the A249 Sheppey and the east part of the Isle of Sheppey. It is also the primary through route to the 3 prisons on the island.
The improvements are in 3 phases:
- Phase 1 provided a new roundabout at the junction of Lower Road with Barton Hill Drive.
- Phase 2 provided an improvement for the Lower Road arm of Cowstead Corner Roundabout and a 1.1 kilometre (km) section of new shared footway/cycleway between the A249 and Barton Hill Drive, supporting future growth and transforming the journey experience for all road users.
- Phase 3 will improve a 1 km section of the A2500 Lower Road between the A249 and Barton Hill Drive on the Isle of Sheppey. This will be delivered once funding becomes available.
Formal scheme approval was made by:
The objectives of the scheme are to:
- provide a new roundabout at Barton Hill Drive
- widen a 1.1km section of the A2500 Lower Road
- provide a new shared footway / cycleway
- ease congestion
- support economic growth.
- Phase 1 – A2500 Lower Road junction with Barton Hill Drive Roundabout – scheme plan (PDF, 542.6 KB)
- Phase 2 – A2500 Lower Road widening – feasibility design (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- Newsletter 5 - August 2019 (PDF, 3.0 MB)
- Newsletter 4 - March 2019 (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Newsletter 3 - October 2018 (PDF, 2.0 MB)
- Newsletter 2 - August 2018 (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Newsletter 1 - June 2018 (PDF, 378.2 KB)
The approval to progress the A2500 Lower Road Improvement was taken by Kent County Council on 13 March 2017, with a phase two committee decision on 15 May 2018.
The decision by the SELEP Accountability Board to grant Local Growth Funding for the A2500 the Lower Road Improvement was made on the 22 September 2017.
- Design works are complete.
- Construction was completed January 2019.
- Detailed designs are complete.
- Construction to be completed by February 2020.
- Awaiting funding.