Ashford Shared Space
This scheme is a joint project by Kent County Council and Ashford Borough Council to improve the look and feel of the town centre as well as enhancing safety for pedestrians.
Works totalling up to £600,000 will begin Tuesday 1 November 2022 and take place over 5 phases, with completion scheduled for spring 2023.
The following changes will be made:
- Cobbles to Lower High Street removed and replaced with black tarmac.
- Resurfacing of Gasworks Lane, Forge Lane, West Street and Godinton Road.
- Replacement of damaged or worn ironworks.
- New lining design to resurfaced roads.
- Repairs to centre traffic island.
- Repairs to carriageway kerbing, zebra crossings and footways.
- Kerbs installed to the rear of zebra crossings.
- New reflective traffic signals.
- Removal of damaged cycle racks.
The changes will lead to a nicer, safer and easier to maintain public realm in the town. Previous temporary fixes will be repaired, making the area more visually appealing, more accessible and improve resilience to damage over time.
The cobbled area of the Lower High Street will be removed and replaced with black tarmac to create a safer, even surface. This will make it easier for pedestrians, especially those with mobility issues or visual impairment, to safely navigate the area. Black tarmac will improve the contrast between pedestrian and road areas also to help accessibility.
The first phases will mostly take place between 8.30pm and 5am with road closures in place overnight. Roads will be open as usual during the day.
- 1 to 7 November - Forge Lane
- 7 to 21 November - West Street
- 21 to 23 November - Godinton Road and Elwick Place
- 28 November - Gasworks Lane
- 29 November - Forge Lane and West Street
- 1 December - Godinton Road
- 3 December - works will pause for Christmas and resume in the New Year
An updated schedule will be published in January 2023.