Mobile libraries during coronavirus
Our mobile library service will be back on the roads from Tuesday 15 September 2020.
Due to the coronavirus, the mobile library service will be operating a Select and Collect service.
How mobile library Select and Collect works
You can select up to 6 books or audiobooks in a week in advance and when they're ready you can collect them from one of our mobile libraries.
Books can be selected from our mobile libraries or from our range in one of our mobile base libraries:
- Ashford Gateway
- Allington Library
- Dover Library
- Northfleet Library (Coldharbour)
- Sturry Library.
You can either tell us which specific books you want, or you can let us choose books for you based on your preferences.
The loan period is for 6 weeks on all items issued through Select and Collect.
Select your books
To select your books online:
- log in and check our online library catalogue to see the availability of our books in one of our mobile libraries.
- note down the author and title of the books
- complete our online form with your request
If you prefer, call us on 03000 41 31 31 to speak to a member of staff.
Collecting your books
View our new mobile library timetable, to find out when your mobile library stops near you.
When collecting your items you must:
- not arrive in advance of the library coming
- maintain social distancing when queueing
- wait until the staff member has stepped away and called your name before collecting your items on the lift platform
- check the items are labelled as yours and walk away when confirmed.
Returning your books
Books must be returned in a bag, preferably the one they were originally collected in. You can return your books to:
- your mobile library
- any library with drop boxes or return bins outside.
When returning your books you must only approach the mobile library when you are called. You must place the bag on the list once and step away. If you are collecting books as well as returning them, you must collect the new books before placing the returning items on the lift. The member of staff will then place the bag in quarantine for 72 hours.
Become a library member
If you are already a member of the library, you can use one of our mobile libraries.
We are unable to accept new members at the mobile library. However, you can become a library member online, or collect an application form from one of our mobile libraries to complete and post back to us.