Careers in educational psychology
Our educational psychologists play a vital role in helping children and young people reach their full potential.
Find out about our excellent career development opportunities and first class training.
We can offer you:
- relocation packages up to £8,000
- first class continuous professional development
- professional supervision
- financial support towards your initial Health & Care Professionals Council (HCPC) registration
- excellent administrative support
- flexible working.
Please contact Karen Lane on 03000 41 02 50 for vacancies.
A great location
Kent has excellent road and rail links to London and the continent, making it the perfect location for work and leisure.
Main Grade Educational Psychologist: £39,359 - £48,211 (Scale A – pay point 3 – 8) plus structured professional assessments. Starting salary will be on pay point 5.
As a newly appointed Educational Psychologist you would benefit from a one off ‘golden hello’ payment of £2000 (pro rata).
We offer up to a maximum of £8,000 to help you with relocating to live closer to your place of work (subject to eligibility).
27 days annual leave per year rising to 30 days after 5 years service.
Investing in you
We value our educational psychologists and will invest in your professional development and career progression.
We also offer financial support towards your initial Health & Care Professionals Council (HCPC) registration.
As a member of our team you'll receive Structured Professional Assessments (SPA) points, and we'll honour any points acquired with your previous employer.
You'll receive excellent support from our dedicated administrative team.
We provide the technology to support flexible and home working, including Blackberry mobile devices and the facility to log in from a laptop using a wireless or wired broadband connection.
We value our educational psychologists and will invest in your skills, experience and qualifications. We're proud that many of our educational psychologists have gone on to achieve enhanced posts as senior educational psychologists or to run educational psychology services in other counties.
Our offer includes access to:
- regular development events, including a yearly conference with keynote speakers who are leaders in their field
- financial support towards completing a doctoral qualification (subject to terms and conditions)
- Cognitive Behavioural Approaches (CBA) training and the opportunity to join a county working group
- the latest research articles, books and other resources
- opportunities to develop crisis support skills
- research projects and the opportunity to publish your findings - our educational psychologists have published work in a variety of journals
- links to University College London training institute through our associate tutor arrangements
- Video Interaction Guidance training and the opportunity to join a county working group.
Video interaction guidance
Andy Heather is our Principal Educational Psychologist and leads the Kent Educational Psychology Service. He talks about working in Kent:
The service serves a very diverse and exciting county which has more than 580 schools and a school population of 220,000. I am very fortunate to be able to work with such a talented, dedicated and innovative group of colleagues.
As a highly regarded service we are proud of our ability to respond to challenges and to innovate as well as delivering to a high standard on our core business. We place a high value on Continuous Professional Development which has often been the starting place for new ideas which have flourished and developed. Video Interactive Guidance and Cognitive Behavioural Approaches are examples of this and more recently Mindfulness.
We are a successful partially traded service which has opened up a world of new opportunities to develop the delivery of psychological services to the children, young people and families of Kent. The service is keen to develop new projects and ideas.
Many of our team of educational psychologists were initially Kent trainees. We have been proud of our ability to provide some excellent opportunities for educational psychologists who are at the start of their careers in this fascinating profession. We have also been fortunate to have educational psychologists and trainees join us from other local authorities.
You can read profiles of other members of the team: