Kent and Medway Warm Homes

Save energy, save money

Following government advice, we will be restarting installations with enhanced safety and social distancing measures. We ask residents to observe these for both their and our operatives safety.

There is no pressure to make an appointment, installers will only visit homes where the resident is happy with this. We have a backlog of referrals and will work through these as quickly as we can. Some homes may not be viable for installations with social distancing being adhered to, but this will be assessed on a case by case basis.

The Warm Homes scheme is a partnership project between KCC, district councils and wider agencies, to help residents in Kent and Medway save energy in their home.

The Kent and Medway Warm Homes scheme can offer you a quote from a trusted contractor to install loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, external wall insulation, or heating systems in your home.

The scheme is only available to residents living in Kent and Medway, and some residents may be eligible for funding to help with the cost.

The partnership provides this scheme to offer a quote from a trusted contractor, who has been vetted and checked against different environmental and safety standards.

This is a referral service only and if you decide to carry out works with a contractor, you will enter into a contract directly with them. KCC and members of the partnership project cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any aspect of the works.

We advise you seek other quotes outside of the Warm Homes scheme to make sure you get the best quote available for you.

If you live in a rented property, you must get permission from your landlord before any works are carried out on the property.

Some district councils can offer financial assistance to help with heating, insulation and other works to your property if you meet certain criteria.

Through the scheme, we try to subsidise your quote if you are eligible for national or local funding.

If you receive certain benefits, the Warm Homes contractor, Aran Services Ltd, can check if you are eligible for funding assistance through a national funding scheme called the Energy Company Obligation (ECO).

If you do not receive benefits but are on a low income, or have a long-term health condition, your local district council may be able to provide financial assistance through a number of schemes for works to your property which include heating and insulation. Please contact your local district council for further information.

If you are eligible for support, funding may not cover the full cost of the installation and you may need to pay a contribution.

Energy efficiency or heating grants

  • Renewable Heat Incentive is an incentive for certain technologies, you can receive money from government for generating heat from renewable or low carbon sources. Find out more about the incentive.
  • First time central heating grants provides homeowners who are low income and are not connected to the gas network can apply to have gas central heating installed with a gas connection. To find out if you are eligible, contact the team for your area.

Other assistance:

Collective Switching Schemes

You could save money on your energy bills by joining a collective switching scheme. This is by combining buying power through auctions to access highly competitive tariffs. Participation is completely free with no obligation to switch your current energy tariff or energy provider. Examples of schemes in Kent include:

Utility company schemes and where to go for more advice

Support with arrears or debt

Some utility companies offer help to customers who have large arrears on their gas, electricity or water bills. Some companies can also financially contribute to energy related costs such as white goods to heating repairs through ‘Further Assistance Payments’. There are also many well-known price comparison websites that aim to give customers full transparency on which energy companies are offering the cheapest deal. See if your energy provider can offer you some help:

Simple Energy Advice offers impartial and independent advice to help reduce energy bills, making the home warmer and greener, as well as information for home improvements.

AgeUK offers advice, tips and options for a home energy and benefits check to ensure you have everything that you are entitled to.

Financial Advice

  • The Citizens Advice Bureau can help check that you are not missing out on any benefits or financial support which may be able to assist you to pay for you energy bills or allow for you to make energy improvements to your home.
  • Energy Saving Trust also has lots of information for how to save energy at home and some financial advice.
  • Turn2Us is a national charity helping people when times get tough. They provide financial support to help people get back on track and provide a benefits calculator and a grants search to allow people to look for charitable funds that they may be eligible for.

Find out how to apply for heating replacements, loft insulation, external wall insulation and/ or cavity wall insulation in your area

Applications close on the 31 December 2021.

Find a quote for other energy efficiency measures

Warm Homes only provides quotes for installing loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, external wall insulation, and heating.

If you would like quotes from other companies, or quotes for energy efficiency measures that we cannot provide, you may wish to contact:

  • traders and installers - KCC Trading Standards runs a fair trader directory for trades in the home maintenance sector. To find an installer in your area visit the TS Checked website.
  • your own energy supplier who may also be able to provide a quote for the works
  • the ‘big six’ energy companies in the UK (EON, British Gas, npower, EDF Energy, Scottish Power and Scottish & Southern), as they sometimes have schemes to support residents with energy efficiency measures.

This is a referral service only and if you decide to carry out works with any installer, you will enter into contract directly with them. As such, KCC and members of the partnership project cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any aspect of the works.

For general information and advice on saving energy in the home or to see if there are other grants available, you can also contact the Energy Saving Trust.

Kent Green Action at home

Find out how you can save money, use less energy and help the environment at home by reading our:

Save water

Find out how you can cut your water consumption with expert water saving tips from your local water provider. Providers include:

Give us your feedback

For any questions about the scheme please contact your local district council.

If you have any feedback on the information available on this page, please complete this short survey.

Funded by

This project has received funding from the Interreg 2 Seas programme 2014-2020, co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund under subsidy contract No 2S02-029.