Energy financial support

If you are experiencing financial difficulty and paying your energy bill is a concern, there is help available.

Your energy supplier has a legal duty to offer financial assistance, and there are various sources of advice, and funding providers, to reach out to.

You should also read our energy bill money saving advice.

Ask your supplier for help

Utility companies offer help to customers who have large arrears on their gas, electricity or water bills.

Some companies can also financially contribute to energy related costs such as white goods to heating repairs through ‘Further Assistance Payments’.

See if your energy provider can offer you some help:

Your energy company may not be listed here, but you will be able to find their contact details on your most recent bill, or on their website.

Priority service register

The priority service register gives you you advance notice of planned power cuts, priority support in an emergency, accessible information, and more.

If eligible, you can request to be added to the register by asking your supplier. Eligible people include those:

  • in receipt of a pension
  • disabled or chronically sick
  • with a long-term health condition
  • in a vulnerable situation
  • with a hearing or visual impairment
  • with additional communication needs.

Apply for financial support

Kent Support and Assistance Service

if you are experiencing financial hardship due to coronavirus (COVID-19) and have a top-up meter, you can apply for vouchers to help top up electricity and gas.

Learn more and apply for Home essentials in a crisis.

Warm Homes Discount

The UK Government's Warm Home Discount scheme can provide up to £140 off your energy bill over winter.

Learn more about the Warm Home Discount scheme at GOV.UK.

Cold Weather Payment

If you claim certain benefits, you could get £25 for each consecutive 7-day period where the average temperature in your area is 0°C or below.

Learn more about the Cold Weather Payment at GOV.UK.

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born on or before 5 October 1954, you could get between £100 and £300 to help pay heating bills across winter.

You don't need to apply if you already receive state pension or some other benefits; the payment will be awarded automatically.

Learn more about Winter Fuel Payments at GOV.UK.

Fuel Direct

If you wish, you could have your energy bill paid directly out of any benefits you may claim: This could also help you pay back any debt to the provider.

Learn more about Fuel Direct at GOV.UK.

Seek good advice

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice can help check that you are not missing out on any benefits, or financial support, which may be able to assist you to pay for you energy bills.

They may also help you make energy improvements to your home to bring your energy costs down.


Turn2Us is a national charity helping people when times get tough.

They provide financial support to help people get back on track and provide a benefits calculator to allow people to look for charitable funds that they may be eligible for.