Personal budgets for children with special educational needs

You can request a personal budget if your child has an education, health and care (EHC) plan, or if you are a young person with an EHC plan.

A personal budget is an amount of money we will pay towards the provision set out in the EHC plan.

If your request for a personal budget is approved, you can ask us to make a direct payment to you from the personal budget. This means you can arrange provision direct, rather than us making the arrangements on your behalf. This gives you more control over how you receive support.

You can make a request for a personal budget or a direct payment when the:

  • EHC assessment is taking place
  • EHC plan is being reviewed.

If the direct payment will replace provision that currently takes place in a school or college setting, you will need the consent of the headteacher or principal of the school, or other establishment, named in the plan.

We may be unable to approve your request for a direct payment if we have already made arrangements for services to be provided through a particular provider.

Read more information about personal education budgets (PDF, 410.2 KB).

If you have any questions please contact your area special educational needs team.