College and sixth form for young people with SEND

If you decide to continue to study after year 11 and you have a special educational need or disability, it's important to find out what support your chosen college or sixth form can provide.

To find out which college or sixth form is right for you, you can:

  • search for courses to find out which colleges and sixth forms offer the subjects you're interested in
  • visit the colleges and sixth forms you are interested in - most have open days you can go to
  • speak to students and their parents to find what they think about the college or sixth form
  • read the college or sixth form's Ofsted report
  • think about how you'll get to there - how close is to your home and can you get some help towards the cost of travel through a personal transport budget?
  • find out how the college or sixth form can support your needs. What you'll need to know will depend on your individual needs but here are some suggested questions you might like to ask:
    • What support is available in class?
    • What support is available in exams?
    • What specialist support is available e.g. speech and language?
    • What assistive technology is available?
    • Are there dedicated areas for learners with a higher level of support need?
    • Do they have an additional learning support policy?
    • Do they have an accessibility statement for students with learning difficulties and disabilities?
    • Will a member of staff from the college or sixth form come along to a transition meeting/annual review at the your current school? This will give you a chance to meet them before you finish year 11.
    • What qualifications do staff have in relation to special educational needs?
    • Are staff trained to give medication?
    • Are staff trained to give personal care?
    • How does the college or sixth form promote independence?
    • Do they offer supervised breaks and lunches?

Once you have chosen a course you will need to apply.

When you apply you will be asked if you have any special educational needs or disabilities, and whether or not you have an education, health and care (EHC) plan. if you have an EHC plan we will send this to the college or sixth form you have applied for.

The college or school will then contact you to invite you for a meeting to discuss your support needs and how they could be met.