Second hand cars
KCC Trading Standards is advising you to make sure the car you want is the right deal before you buy it.
What to do when buying a car:
- take the car for a test drive
- make sure you can afford the running costs
- take someone with you when deciding which car to buy
- if anything does go wrong, don't ignore the problem - return the car to the dealer as soon as you can
- make sure the information about the vehicle is correct before you buy it. Check the vehicle information with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) on the GOV.UK website using the registration number.
You are not able to transfer vehicle tax so you must make sure you buy tax for a car you have just bought. You can still buy car tax at your local Post Office or online. If you do not buy tax you could receive a fine of up to £1000.
To find out more contact the DVLA on 0300 790 6802 or on the DVLA website.