East Kent Haulier Permits

During Operation Stack in 2015, local haulage companies wanting to cross the Channel were made to divert to the back of the Operation Stack queue resulting in increased mileage and cost. To prevent this from happening when Operation Brock comes into force, we have been working with the Road Haulage Association and Logistics UK (formerly the Freight Transport Association) to create a local haulier permit system.

The new permit system allows local, East Kent based hauliers to travel directly from their operating centres in East Kent to the Channel Ports, without having to join the Operation Brock queues.


To be eligible for East Kent Haulier Permits, your company needs to:

  • hold a Standard International O-Licence
  • be based in one of the following districts:
    • Ashford
    • Canterbury
    • Dover
    • Faversham
    • Folkestone and Hythe
    • Thanet.

Local delivery drivers and domestic hauliers

Both local delivery drivers and domestic hauliers can travel on the county road network as usual and do not need an East Kent Haulier Permit. This includes the use of the contraflow on the M20 coastbound. Drivers should carry proof of their operating address or a delivery note in case they are stopped by compliance officers from Kent Police or the DVSA.

Getting your permits

Permits will automatically be sent out to all eligible hauliers, there is no need to apply.

How the scheme works

From 1 January 2021, you should display an East Kent Haulier Permit in the cabs of HGVs planning to cross the Channel. They will then be allowed to travel to the Port of Dover and Eurotunnel from your operating centre without queuing in Operation Brock traffic.

Permits should only be used in vehicles registered at the operating centre listed on your O-licence. So make sure you keep your Vehicle Operating Licencing (VOL) data up to date online.

Kent Police and the DVSA will be spot checking freight vehicles at a number of locations in Kent on the approach to the Port of Dover and Eurotunnel. Permits should be presented to these officers to allow onward travel.

Kent Access Permits

If you're intending to travel to the EU via the Short Straits, you still need to get a Kent Access Permit from the 'Check an HGV is Ready to Cross the Border Service'. If you're not intending to leave the UK then you do not need to get a Kent Access Permit.

Abuse of the system

Evidence of manipulation, fraud or abuse of the permit system will be referred to the Traffic Commissioner for London and the South East by the police or DVSA to consider an operators good repute/fitness to hold a licence.