Environment policy and targets
The Kent County Council environment policy (PDF, 176.6 KB) sets out our commitment to:
- reduce our carbon dioxide emissions
- make sure our estate and services are adapted to the future impacts and opportunities of climate change
- contribute positively to Kent's character, local environmental quality and natural environment.
Examples of environmental projects
Find out how Salix Finance have helped to fund the programme to upgrade 120,000 streetlights to LED lamps.
Read about how our Highways team are making the switch to electric-hybrid vans (PDF, 189.9 KB), reducing harmful air pollution and saving money. In December 2019, our Community Safety Team replaced half of our vehicle fleet with 6 electric hybrid vans.
Our action programme extends to all areas of the council and Kent schools. Find out how our new integrated community equipment supply service (PDF, 287.1 KB) has reduced waste and saved money by re-using equipment.
Watch our video to learn how the Northfleet School for Girls pupils are saving their school approximately £17,000 a year by using solar panels.
Our corporate targets up to 2021
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 32% by 2021. This target was achieved in March 2019, 2 years early.
- Zero waste to landfill by 2020 - (this target applies to the waste collected and disposed of from Kent County Council offices and other KCC occupied buildings and not the domestic waste collected by district/ borough councils. A separate Kent wide target applies to domestic waste.)
For both of these targets we aim to achieve 38% reduction by March 2021, compared to a 2015 baseline.
These targets apply to our corporate estate (street lighting and buildings) and our business travel (fleet vehicles and staff business mileage). The baseline year is 2015.
A significant contribution to reducing energy and related emissions is due to changing our street lights to LED technology.
What we have already achieved
Our current greenhouse gas target period is 2016 to 2021 and we have achieved a 15% reduction in our previous target period 2011 to 2015. We achieved a 15 % reduction in our previous target period 2011-2015. For more information please read our latest quarterly greenhouse gas performance data and our final progress report (PDF, 412.9 KB).
All of our services are expected to deliver relevant Kent Environment Strategy priorities and contribute to corporate targets. We review the environment policy annually and provide reports to senior managers regarding progress against the our environment targets. Find out more about the delivery of Kent-wide public sector targets in our environment strategy impact report.
The Kent Environment Strategy
We also provide support to businesses, other public sector services and communities to ensure the Kent Environment Strategy is delivered across the county.