Head of Paid Service/Corporate Director of Strategic and Corporate Services
Roles and responsibilities
- Lead and direct the Corporate Management team to deliver the organisation’s strategic vision ensuring alignment between performance and the organisation’s objectives. Work with Cabinet to lead and develop relationships with key stakeholders in Government, business and the communities in Kent, creating partnership to influence views and decisions for Kent’s benefit.
- Linking to political priorities and working with the Corporate Management Team to formulate the Council’s strategy and medium term planning process to optimise opportunities for resource allocation linked to priority setting and to facilitate the review of the County Council’s policies in operation.
- Direct the development of Council wide policy, cross service strategy and joint working on key issues to enable the effective strategic management of the County Council.
- Oversee strategic commissioning including procurement, customer insight, business intelligence and performance monitoring functions to enable innovative and responsive services to be delivered.
- Oversee all commercial and trading activity by the Council or its wholly owned companies in line with the Council’s Constitution and ensure the delivery of a critical client and contracting roles.
- Ensure delivery of effective and integrated professional support services and related strategies for Finance, Infrastructure, Engagement, Organisation Design & Development and Governance & Law aligned to service and strategic outcomes.
David has been a member of the Corporate Management Team for 10 years. Trained as an economist, with a policy and information technology background, David has experience of working in public and private sector partnerships and for both local and national government in a number of areas – including in Jobcentres, Benefit Offices and training and skills programmes as well as national policy in Whitehall. David has previously worked in Economic Development in Kent County Council focusing on local regeneration projects and strategy as well as in business support and development, including working with local enterprise agencies. He also led the authority’s ICT function for a number of years before moving into his current role.
Collectively with the other Corporate Directors David undertakes responsibility for KCC’s strategic emergency planning response.
View the job description (PDF, 56.8 KB) for the role of Head of Paid Service/Corporate Director of Strategic and Corporate Services role.
Salary and expenses
David's salary is £201,587.
David has not claimed any expenses for the current financial year.
Declaration of interests
Membership: Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers, Institute of Directors, Institute of Economic Development and Society of IT Managers.
Gifts and hospitality
None to declare.