Specialist children's services complaints 

Taking complaints about specialist children's services further

If you are not satisfied with the first response to your complaint you have the right to take it further.


You may be entitled to an investigation or take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. Contact us for advice.

If we investigate your complaint:

  • an investigating officer who is new to your case will look into the issues raised
  • an independent person from The Young Lives Foundation, the children's charity, will also be appointed to consider your complaint
  • the investigating officer and the independent person will contact you to make sure they fully understand the complaint.


When the investigation is complete, we will send you a full response. We aim to do this within 25 working days of the investigation starting, but it can take longer. We will keep you informed of progress. Where it is not possible to complete the investigation within 25 working days, it may be extended to a maximum of 65 working days.

Local Government Ombudsman 

If you remain unhappy with the response to your complaint you have the right to take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman who is independent of Kent County Council.  You may contact them at any time but they would normally expect you to complete our complaints procedure first.

Other organisations that can help 

The Young Lives Foundation

If you are a child or young person in care, you can get help to make a complaint from The Young Lives Foundation: