To complain about one of our services in writing, write to one of the directors listed below and send your letter to Sessions House, County Hall, Maidstone, Kent, ME14 1XQ.

Or use the online complaints form.

Write to Corporate Director of Strategic and Corporate Support about:

  • finance
  • freedom of information requests
  • information systems
  • governance and law
  • human resources
  • economic development
  • property
  • communication and consultation
  • the contact centre

Write to Corporate Director of Social Care, Health and Wellbeing about:

  • families and social care
  • health

Write to Corporate Director of Education and Young People's Services about:

  • education
  • early years and childcare
  • community, learning and skills
  • youth and community

Write to Corporate Director of Growth, Environment and Transport about:

  • highways
  • minerals and waste
  • planning
  • recycling
  • commercial services
  • libraries
  • registration of births, marriages and deaths
  • public rights of way
  • country parks
  • trading standards
  • community safety
  • sports development
  • gateways

Or, if you're not sure of the service, send your complaint to Head of Paid Service to be investigated.