River Medway Towpath Improvements
Towpath closures and construction phases
Barming to Maidstone
The shared use pedestrian/cycle route between South Street Barming and Lockmeadow, Maidstone is now open.
Please note that Environment Agency works at East Farleigh have meant that a short area of the “dismount” section by East Farleigh lock will remain unsurfaced until the lock works are completed.
Maidstone town centre
Additional works to the section of towpath between the Medway Street subway and the railway over bridge by Maidstone East station have now commenced.
This section of the path is expected to be closed until early September however would not affect the promoted cycle route.
Aylesford to Travis Perkins, Forstal Road
The footpath element of the towpath improvement between Travis Perkins, Aylesford and Aylesford village remains closed, and is expected to open on 11 May 2017.
Please do not attempt to use this section while it is under construction.
The scheme includes:
- repairing 14 areas of eroded river bank
- sealed surfacing the 2.5 metre pathway
- planting of over 130 riverbank trees and plants to prevent future erosion
- replacement of existing benches
- improved access for disabled users
- new signs
- new parking facilities at Lockmeadow and the Museum of Kent Life
- fixed stand cycle repair stations.
The scheme objectives are to:
- facilitate sustainable access to education and employment along the River Medway corridor through Maidstone
- increase access for disabled users
- improve the ecology of the river
- provide access for travel in a traffic-free environment.