Autism and Aspergers
If you think you or someone you know may have autism or Aspergers Syndrome, your first place to get help should be your doctor, who will be able to refer you to our clinics.
We have specialist clinics in Kent to test for autism and Aspergers. If you are referred to us, we'll ask you some questions about your situation and may invite you to come in for testing.
Once you are confirmed as having autism or Aspergers, we can assess your needs if you:
- live in Kent
- are over 18 (or over 17 and already have support from our children's teams)
- may have autism but don't also have a learning disability.
Children and young people with autism or Aspergers can get help through their local special educational needs team.
If you have any questions, please call us on 03000 41 61 61 (Text relay: 18001 03000 41 61 61) or email AutisticSpectrumConditions@kent.gov.uk.
The EarlyBird Programme helps you understand your child's autism and how you can help them communicate and develop. EarlyBird is for pre-school children and EarlyBird Plus for 4-8 year olds.
If you are interested in the programme contact one of the organisations below:
- Dartford, Gravesham and Swanley: The Parents Consortium
- Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge and Malling, Sevenoaks: SPACE
- Maidstone: M4S
- Canterbury, Thanet and Swale: 4Us2
It is licensed by the National Autistic Society and delivered by various professionals in Kent.