Cycling helps to keep you fit, it helps the
environment and reduces road congestion.
Cyclists are very vulnerable, particularly young cyclists. Young
people are natural risk takers and have not developed the full
ability to judge dangers and potential risks.
Although statistically cycling is very safe, it is important
that you are careful. You have a responsibility
to yourself as well as other people.
Cycle safety tips
- Make sure your bicycle is safe to ride – test the brakes and
- Wear a helmet - it will help to protect your head
- Make sure other road users can see you – wear fluorescent or
light clothing in daylight and reflective clothing at night
- Use lights on your bike – a white light in front, a red light
at the back, and a back red reflector
- Obey traffic light signals
- Use a rucksack, or bike basket, when carrying goods.