A28 Chart Road improvement scheme
This scheme will see the existing stretch of the A28 Chart Road between the 'Tank' and 'Matalan' roundabouts widened into 2 lanes each way.
This scheme is an improvement of the existing road.
The scheme includes:
- changing the A28 into 2 lanes each way between the 'Tank' and 'Matalan' roundabouts
- improvement of the 'Tank' roundabout, 'Matalan' roundabout, Loudon Way junction and other intermediate side roads/accesses
- using the existing railway bridge for the northbound carriageway with construction of a new railway bridge for the southbound carriageway
- extensive landscaping proposals
- traffic noise screening for residents
- continuous shared footway and cycleways on both sides of the road
- additional controlled crossings, for pedestrians and cyclists, at Loudon Way/Chart Road junction and Chart Road north of Matalan roundabout.
- A28 Chart Road scheme additional information (PDF, 199.2 KB)
- A28 Chart Road scheme plan (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- A28 Chart Road scheme sketch viewpoints (PDF, 173.4 KB)
- A28 Chart Road scheme Section A-A1 – section through Chart Road south of Loudon Way (PDF, 104.1 KB)
- A28 Chart Road scheme Section B-B1 – section through Chart Road north of Loudon Way (PDF, 90.1 KB)
- A28 Chart Road scheme landscape plan (JPG, 3.6 MB)
The A28 is the main route serving the south and west side of Ashford. Improvements have already been made from the A28 'Tank' roundabout up to and including its connection with the M20 at Junction 9.
Southwards from the 'Tank' roundabout over the railway to the 'Matalan' roundabout the A28 is a single carriageway that has poor alignment over the railway and has regular congestion and unreliable journey times.
The scheme objectives are:
- to provide improved capacity and safety
- to relieve congestion and give improved and reliable journey times
- to support local growth and developments including Chilmington Green.
- Completed detailed design – December 2017
- Pre-construction public exhibitions – January 2018
- Land acquisition - January/ February 2018
- Vegetation clearance - February 2018
- Construction - March 2018 to autumn 2019, subject to completion of land acquisition. If we have to use our compulsory purchase powers, then the start of the scheme may be delayed.
Jackson Civil Engineering Ltd were appointed in February 2017 on a two stage Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) contract.
The first stage is to support Kent County Council in the completion of the detailed design, with Jackson able to bring their extensive expertise to reduce some of the risks before the second stage construction phase.
Discussions are ongoing about the voluntary acquisition of land needed but if voluntary acquisition is not possible, a compulsory purchase order was published in May 2017 and is hoped to be confirmed in February 2018.
Read the latest A28 Chart Road newsletter (PDF, 742.3 KB).