Bridges and limits
Network Rail provide information on the prevention of bridge strikes. It includes:
- good practice guides for transport managers
- guides for drivers from other countries
- training course for professional drivers
- know your height
- check signs at the bridge, do not ignore them.
If you see a vehicle hit a bridge, contact information should be on a sign on the bridge. If there is not a phone number, call the police on 999.
Weight limits can be due to structural or environmental reasons. These help:
- protect buildings, roads and bridges
- stop lorries and HGVs from using areas as through routes
- reduce and manage traffic congestion
Restrictions are based on plated vehicle weights and the vehicle is banned even if empty.
Use the Freight Gateway journey planner to plan your route around Kent. It looks at your lorry height and width and finds the best course for you.