National Motorway Speed Awareness course

To attend this course you must have received a letter from the police.

Drivers that attend this course significantly reduce their chances of being involved in a crash and of being caught for the same offence in the next 2 to 3 years.

The course lasts 2½ hours, including breaks. It takes place in a classroom type setting.

This course may be offered at the discretion of the local Chief Constable to those motorists driving on motorways, who have been detected exceeding the active variable speed limit by 10% +2mph and 10% +9mph (as electronically displayed on the overhead gantries and roadside electronic signs), either by a police officer or an automated camera device.

Before attending the National Motorway Speed Awareness course you must:

The course costs £62.50 in Kent. The course can only be booked if payment has been received or a payment can be made at the time of the course booking by credit/debit card.

You must have your driving licence number to book your course. This can be found on your licence photo card. If you do not know your licence number, you can retrieve it through GOV.UK's licence detail viewing service.

To book call us on 03000 41 82 82 and ask to book a National Motorway Speed Awareness Course.

You must bring photo identification to prove who you are.

If you do not bring photo identification, you could be refused entry to the course.

Examples of valid photo identification are:

  • a valid passport
  • valid EU or Swiss national identity card
  • valid driving licence
  • citizen card
  • valid Government-issued identity card.

If you have a photocard licence we can only accept it with a current photograph and if the photograph still identifies you (field 4b on your licence gives the expiry date of the photograph).

Please make sure you arrive on time.

If you are late you will not be allowed to participate. This could lead to a re-booking fee if we can offer a new course date, or your case being returned to the police.

In bad weather, please call us on 03000 41 82 82 for up to date information about closed venues.