History of Queenborough Castle
In 1361 Edward III bought some land from the
manor of Rushenden to build a castle.
It is not clear whether the castle was built
mainly as a safe haven for the royal family, perhaps to escape the
black-death, or if it was built to defend the nation. What is
clear is that in 1368 a charter replaced the old village of Bynnee
with the new Royal Borough of Queenborough.
created town was planned and built alongside the castle, and was
named after Edward’s wife the Queen, Philippa of Hainault.
Queenborough is the only deliberately planned town of this period
in England and it included organised plots, a castle, church,
harbour, water mill and market house.
The castle itself was the only new Royal
castle built in England during the later medieval time. It
was built to a new concentric circle design, way ahead of Henry
VIII's artillery castles built nearly 200 years later. It was
probably one of the first castles designed to house artillery.
In the 17th century it was
demolished and the stones robbed. All that remains are a series of
robber trenches. A now demolished Victorian pump-house was
constructed above the castle well to provide water for the railway,
later capped again in the 1970’s.
Have a look at the castle plan (JPG, 6mb).
Team investigated the remains of the castle - you can find
details on Channel 4's website.
To find out more contact firstname.lastname@example.org