Go green for business
It is calculated that increasing the
average number of cycling trips by 20% will save £87 million per
year in absence from work alone.
If this figure is increased to 50%, the saving will be £217
million. In addition, many businesses suffer from parking and
congestion problems, caused by too many employees driving to
The problems include:
- congestion around the site
- pressure to provide more parking spaces
- upsetting residents in nearby streets
- increasing the cost to the company of travel and parking
- employees stuck in traffic arriving late and stressed.
Encouraging employees to cycle to work can help solve these
problems. It means:
- less pressure on parking spaces around the workplace
- reduced costs of providing parking for employees
- less congestion around the site at peak times
- a healthier, less stressed and more productive
- an improved image locally.
There are, of course, some people who live too far from their
workplace to cycle. For these people, the answer may be a mix of
cycling and public transport.
Kent County Council is working with transport providers to give
cyclists better facilities and easier access to public transport.
Other improvements across the county include more cycle lockers,
cycle access ramps and cycle parking facilities.
Cycling clearly will not be the answer for all employees, but
encouraging bikes as one part of a travel plan will help to make a
Travel plans are becoming popular with Kent's businesses as a
way of thinking through the best way of getting staff to work in an
environmentally-sound and efficient way. The overall aim is to
reduce the number of car journeys, particularly those involving a
single occupant - and encouraging journeys by bike can help.
- You can find out more about travel plans, and about the way KCC
can help your business to set one up, by visiting the Travel plan section.
For more information on making cycling more attractive, please
visit the Cycle Friendly