Online reference library
Being a member of the library gives you access to more than 50 online subscriptions free of charge. When you follow the links below you will be asked for your library card number. For licensing reasons, some of our resources are not available remotely and can only be accessed on computers in particular libraries, therefore no link is given. Ask your local library for more details.
Choose one of the categories or browse the full A-Z list below.
- Arts and music
- Business information
- Careers and jobseeking
- Family and local history
- General reference
- Health and wellbeing
- History & social sciences
- Newspapers and magazines
- Rights and citizenship
- Sciences and nature
- Access to Research (to read the full document, you will need to visit the library in person)
- Ancestry Library Edition (only available in libraries, no remote access)
- Artemis Literary Sources - cross-search the following
- Dictionary of Literary Biography Complete Online
- Literature Criticism Online
- Literature Resource Center - LRC
- Something About the Author Online
- Twayne's authors
- Scribner's writers
- Britannica Online - your library card number needs to be entered using a capital D.
- Britannica Spotlight series
- Britannica study guides
- British History Online (BHO) (only available in libraries, no remote access)
- British Library newspapers
- British Newspaper Archive (BNA) (only available in libraries, no remote access)
- British Way of Life
- Cambridge Histories Online - remote access requires a login and password. Ask at your local library on your next visit or call Ask a Kent Librarian on 03000 41 64 38 and give your library card number.
- COBRA - remote access is restricted to 12 Business Information Briefings, 12 Business Opportunities Profiles, and 6 UK Market Synopsis a year. Access is unlimited in libraries.
- Credo Reference
- EBSCO Newspaper Source Plus/ MasterFILE Complete
- EBSCO UK/EIRE Reference Centre
- European Views of the Americas: 1493-1750
- Find My Past - Community Edition (only available in libraries, no remote access). This now includes the 1939 register. This subscription excludes memorial scrolls and the Living Relatives database. Our license states that usage is for research into a user's own family history only, and not for any commercial or other purpose whatsoever. Accessing records on behalf of 3rd parties is not permitted.
- Gale news Vault
- Cross-search the following
- 19th Century British Library newspapers
- Illustrated London News
- Times Digital Archives
- Grzimek's Animal Life encyclopedia - Find it under 'Gale Virtual Reference Library'
- MINT UK (via Ask a Kent Librarian only, no remote access)
- Oxford Art Online - now includes access to Benezit Online
- Oxford Bibliographies – access British and Irish literature, and Victorian literature
- Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Oxford Language Dictionaries
- Oxford Music Online
- TheoryTest Pro - When you first use TheoryTest Pro, you will need to register with your name, email address and password. If you sign anywhere outside of a Kent library, you will also need your library card number.
- Thomson Business Search (via Ask a Kent Librarian only, no remote access)
- Times Digital Archives 1785 - 2007 (TDA)
- Westlaw (Kent History and Library Centre only, no remote access)
- Who's Who (and Who was Who) Online