Online reference library
Being a member of the library gives you access to more than 50 online subscriptions free of charge. When you follow the links below you will be asked for your library card number. For licensing reasons, some of our resources are not available remotely and can only be accessed on computers in particular libraries, therefore no link is given. Ask your local library for more details.
Choose one of the categories or browse the full A-Z list below.
- Access to Research (only available in libraries, no remote access)
- Ancestry Library Edition (only available in libraries, no remote access)
- Artemis Literary Sources - cross-search the following
- Dictionary of Literary Biography Complete Online
- Literature Criticism Online
- Literature Resource Center - LRC
- Something About the Author Online
- Twayne’s authors
- Scribner’s writers
- Britannica Online - your library card number needs to be entered using a capital D.
- British Newspaper Archive (BNA) (only available in libraries, no remote access)
- British Standards Online (BSOL) (only available in libraries, no remote access)
- Cambridge Histories Online - remote access requires a login and password. Ask at your local library on your next visit or call Ask a Kent Librarian on 01622 696438 and give your library card number.
- CANS Advice notes
- COBRA - remote access is restricted to 12 Business Information Briefings, 12 Business Opportunities Profiles, and 6 UK Market Synopsis a year. Access is unlimited in libraries.
- Credo Reference
- FastTomato.com - you need to register in one of our libraries first, but once your account has been created this product can be used from any internet-enabled computer.
- Find My Past - Community Edition (only available in libraries, no remote access). This subscription excludes memorial scrolls and the Living Relatives database. Our license states that usage is for research into a user’s own family history only, and not for any commercial or other purpose whatsoever. Accessing records on behalf of 3rd parties is not permitted.
- Lexis Nexis Butterworth databases (Kent History and Library Centre only, no remote access)
- All England Case Search
- Halsbury's Laws of England .
- Life in Great Britain
- MINT Europe (via Ask a Kent Librarian only, no remote access)
- MINT UK (main district libraries only, no remote access)