Become a school governor
There is no such thing as a 'typical governor'. You do not need
any formal qualifications, just an interest in your school, some
energy, enthusiasm and some time to commit to the role. You can
find out more by viewing our recruitment video
Who can be a governor?
- almost everyone over 18 can become a governor
- governors are volunteers from all walks of life - everyone has
experience and skills to offer
- an effective governing body has people from different
backgrounds with a mix of skills
- governors are not education experts - they are there to bring a
- no formal qualifications are needed
What makes a good governor?
- common sense
- the ability to work in a team
- an interest in education and a commitment to the school
- patience, energy, enthusiasm and some spare time
- a willingness to listen, learn and to spend time in school
- a willingness to undertake training
If you wish to become a school governor in Kent, please
Governor Application Form (PDF, 190k).
If you wish to know where there are vacancies in your area
please email Governor Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can, of course, contact your local school to ask about any
vacancies they have for which you could be considered.