Which sixth form
You can apply to the sixth form at your current school or at a
different school if they are offering the course you are interested
Before you make your decision, go along to an open day at your chosen sixth form. You'll be
able to meet the staff and students and find out if it's right for
What to study
Sixth forms vary a lot in what they offer. This can range from
vocational courses and BTEC/OCR to AS/A level and the
You can search for
courses online by subject or by sixth form.
Is it for me?
We've given you a couple of different points of view to help
1. Can you study the subjects you need for your future
"I did my research and 6th form offered me the
right courses... so I stayed."
"I want to be an electrician - my school
didn't have the courses I need"
2. Do you like learning where you are at the moment?
"Same people, familiar surroundings, I know
the routine - works for me."
"I want a new start in a new place. Time
for a change."
3. Are you self motivated enough to organise your own learning
and meet deadlines?
"I know I need to be told what to do and when
- my teachers know me and are good at giving me the support I
"I want to work at my own speed - I can work
to deadlines myself."
4. Do you mind travelling as your next step may involve going
to another town or city?
I'm used to the journey to my school - it's
close and easy."
"I want a change and if it means getting the
train every day – so what!”
5. Is studying with your own age group important or would you
rather study with a mix of students?
"People my own age speak the same, think the
same... it's just easier."
"When I start work I'll have to be with people
of different ages. I want to get used to that now."
6. Does it matter to me if the place I learn at is big or
"Where I am is a comfortable size. I
don't like it when it's too big."
"Big is good - more people, more facilities,
7. Do I want to learn in the work place and get qualified for a
"I want to stay here for a bit longer before I
go to work. I want a few more qualifications"
"I just want a job and to be taught by someone
who is already doing it."