If your child is over a year old only use a dummy at sleep
Having a dummy in their mouth prevents babies from babbling,
this is the start of them learning to talk.
Continued use of a dummy will not help your child’s speech
Ask other parents how they got their children off their
dummies, they often have good ideas that may work for your child
Here are some suggestions:
- Ask your child to give their dummy to the dummy fairy
- Ask your child to give up their dummy on their birthday
- Get your child to throw their dummy in the bin
- Swap the dummy for a new cuddly toy or comfort blanket
- Get your child to give their dummy to your local speech
therapist who will give them a sticker or picture to colour.
For further information visit the
literacy trust website.