We would like your views on proposals to make changes to schools in Kent. This includes:
- making the premises larger
- changes to the age range
- adding special educational needs (SEN) provision to a mainstream school
- adding or removing a sixth form
- moving to a new location
- changes to the type of need or the designated number of a special school
- changes to boarding provision
- closing or merging schools
Proposals for changes to schools go through a public consultation process. This involves a consultation period of up to six weeks and generally, but not always, includes a public meeting or drop-in event. Consultations are run by academy trusts, governing boards or the local authority.
Once the public consultation has closed, if the school is a local authority maintained school, the Cabinet Member for Education and Health Reform makes a decision on whether or not the proposal should proceed. If they decide the proposal should go ahead, the next step for most cases will be publication of a Public Notice.
If the school is an academy, then the academy Trustees make a decision on whether or not the proposal should continue and the final decision rests with the Secretary of State.
Regis Manor Primary School - consultation closed 6 March 2017
Saint George’s Church of England School - consultation closed 28 November 2016
Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys – proposed expansion
A public notice relates to a local authority school (community, voluntary or foundation) and is the statutory consultation on the proposed changes. It is a legal requirement and runs for four weeks. At the end of the public notice period the Cabinet Member for Education and Health Reform decides whether or not the proposal will go ahead.
Proposals that have received approval are shown here for a period of 6 months. Some of these are conditional upon receipt of planning consent and will remain here until there is an outcome.
Proposals that have not been approved will also be listed here.
- Brent Primary School Academy
- Craylands Primary School
- Deal Parochial School
- Edenbridge Primary School
- Harrietsham CEP School
- Headcorn Primary School
- Herne Bay Infants School
- Marden Primary School
- Marsh Academy
- Meadowfield School
- Minster in Sheppey Primary School
- Oakfield Community Primary School
- Oakley School
- Palmarsh Primary School
- Seal CE Primary School
- Singlewell Primary School
- South Borough Primary School
- Stone Bay School
- Temple Hill Community Primary and Nursery School
- Westcourt Primary School
- Wickhambreaux CE Primary School